Sunday, July 20, 2008

Revenge of the Rodent

Okay... back in Amsterdam and finally caught up on the trips to Norway and America. It's been a typical summer here, but even a little cooler then usual from what I understand from locals. I got off the plane from Orlando on June 26th in shorts and a t-shirt and proceeded to shiver. If I recall accurately there was a 30 degree (in fahrenheit) difference between origination (92) and destination (62). There have been a lot of clouds, almost equal amount of precipitation, breezy, with "here and there" sunshine. Last night it was 57 degrees!!! This is July, and my body is wondering where all the missing sweat is! Today the high is 62!
Anyway, as you blog readers should know, there was a rodent rave out in the yard back in Orlando while I was there. Apparently our neighborhood isn't the only affected area, as Windermere is also getting it's share of critter visitors. But I'm beginning to think I was followed back to Amsterdam, and a plot for revenge is in the works! I went into the storage area in the kitchen, and I found a small hole chewed into the ziplock bag that contained my snickers bars with the end of one bar nibbled on!! Now this is enough to cause me to blow up the building to get the varmint (think Bill Murray in Caddyshack). The landlord says it's a little mouse and all places in Amsterdam have them. I still think a rat followed me from O-Town and is plotting to right the wrong I committed on his fellow 17 or so kin. Vincent (our landlord) provided some traps and bait, so that suckers days are numbered. We have since placed all accesible foodstuffs in a large, plastic container. Hope it REALLY enjoyed those tasty mouthfuls of peanuts, nougat, and creamy chocolate because that's all it's getting here!!
I finally got our GE leased car cleaned. It's been really dirty since the day it was turned over to us. I tried to get it serviced before we went to Norway, but it takes weeks to get an appointment so I settled for a date after I came back from Orlando. Well, I went to the Ford dealer Tuesday morning. It wasn't obvious where the service area was but I found it after a spell. They had a 40K kilometer service on the invoice (even though there's only 26K on the car) but no mention of the cleaning. I just sat there for a second or 2 thinking "here we go". I told the guy that the cleaning was at least equally important to the service, as both were reasons for the appointment. So he showed me the invoice and I said that I understood, and could see that it's not listed in the desired work to be done, but it was requested. I told him that the man I had made the appointment with over the phone said they use an outside vendor to clean their serviced cars which he nodded in agreement to, but kept saying it's not on the paperwork. I asked if it could be cleaned today... squeezed into the schedule, and the typical Dutch response of "not possible" shot out of his mouth faster then can be measured with our limited technology of the day! It was like he was sitting there for centuries with the words "not possible" poised between his cheek and gums like some verbal wad of Skoal just eager to spit it out at the first opportunity... and I was the lucky cowboy receiving his chaw on my boot!!! When I asked when I could get it cleaned he reviewed some papers and said August 8th! Then the 11th, as the person who does the cleaning is on holiday for 3 weeks. I wanted to jump across the desk and choke him! But, having worked on my anger management (like Jesse Jackson apparently should), I went on with the service and said I would make another appointment to get it cleaned. He then remarked that I had no car rental on the invoice. I said "No, it's a leased car from GE." I thought about his comment, and asked "Car rental for me? Uh, how long do you plan on keeping the car?" Remember, this was 8:30 in the morning and just getting a preventive maintenance check and probable oil change. He said they usually keep it a day!! That across-the-desk choke slam was getting closer. I told him I am NOT prepared to leave the car. I figured 3 to 4 hours max, so I brought my camera's with me and would walk around the area shooting whatever presents itself until called on the mobile. It would be a pain in the ass to get back home and come back the next day. The guy I made the appointment with did not indicate how long it would take, and I mistakenly assumed the service time would be similar to US times. He looked at the invoice and said they will be able to finish today but could give me no time. So, I left the car, grabbed my stuff and started walking towards the football arena where there were shopping stores a couple of miles away. I made some photos along the way of an industrial area, grabbed a banana and yogurt drink, mulled around in a huge sporting goods store and then noticed a movie theater that is part of our free movie club card. I got my ticket for my 2nd viewing of The Incredible Hulk and sat down. Shortly, 2 guys came to me and said I couldn't be in there with my cameras. I explained they were professional still cameras, but there was still doubt. I offered that they lock them up in an office, but they didn't want responsibility. We left the theater to continue the discussion outside in the lobby. Finally, I offered to give them the batteries and they were okay with that!! So, with my cellphone battery almost exhausted and it being over 2 hours since leaving the car, I turned it off at the start of the movie. Of course I had messages waiting when I turned it back on. They said the car was finished, so I had them pick me up at the theater which was nice as it was sprinkling (of course) and I didn't want to walk 2 miles back with digital cameras in the rain. It was about 4pm when I got to R's office after gassing up (82 euros for a maximum 13 gallon tank - - about $120. That's over $9/gallon for all you $4/gallon whiners. Phil Gramm's words, not mine). Anyway, Thursday I called 1 of the other 2 Ford dealers and they hooked me up with their car cleaner who did an excellent job the next day. I even took the tram home and back so I wasn't stuck somewhere all day. I'll take the car back to them for the next servicing as they were much more helpful and professional.
We saw "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" with Brad and Natalia Friday night. It was very funny and one we all say we'll see again. Saturday, we had them over for dinner, serving Indian dishes. It came out quite well and all seemed to enjoy it. We later went over to their apartment which is really close to our location, as they had invited some people over from Brad's ultimate frisbee team. All night when referring to the movie, Brad called it everything BUT the right title!!! It was hilarious! "Saving Sarah Silverman", "Remembering Private Ryan", "Forgetting Sarah Ferguson" - - you name it, he said it. I think after he sees it again, he won't FORGET the title.

No comments: