Monday, July 14, 2008

Back In Orlando, part 2

Once back in Orlando, it was time to paint. I had purchased the paint (15 gallons) and paint sprayer when I bought the sealant. I had actually done a little painting before leaving for NY, as I had rented an extension ladder for 2 days to get to the high 2nd story section in the back. I pressure cleaned in the morning, it was dry by early afternoon so I applied sealant and that was dry by the end of the day. The next morning I let the sun dry off any remaining moisture and put the first coat on the high places. Later in the day I applied the 2nd coat and was done in the places I needed the extension ladder and took it back the next morning. The other high places I could reach with my 2 ladders, getting on the roof, standing on the pool screen frame, or hanging upside down from the roof. Of course, at the end of one day after a full days worth of work on the extension ladder, I was painting high up and hadn't noticed the nozzle had come loose on the spray gun. My safety glasses were filthy so I wasn't wearing them, and a blob of paint came out of the gun, hit the wall, and splashed into my right eye. So here I go down the ladder with one eye stinging and shut, burying my head in the swimming pool. It flushed out the paint really well, but you know this dufus went to Lowe's that evening and bought another pair of safety glasses! So over several days, the painting was accomplished (but not before I forgot to paint the mailbox out front and was scraping paint molecules out of the empty cans to finish that!). I bought 2 gallons of the trim paint and started on that. Almost finished before I went to Tallahassee to visit my sister and nephew from the 19th to the 22nd. I hadn't visited up there in years and found myself in the middle of renovations. Seems like everyone is working on the homes! Helen is replacing floor boards, and Lee is doing a lot of the work with their friend, Phil. It's looking good. I finally met friends of there's I had heard about over the years at dinner out one night. Lee and I went to the movies to see "Iron Man". We went to another one of Helen's friends house for her young son's birthday party which was nice. Oh, don't let me forget my nephew running his mouth about dominating me in a game of basketball. 21 - 0. Ouch!!! I believe it is an adults duty to slap down an adolescent when they don't know their place. His scars will heal... one day. He wanted to quit when it was 2 - 0!! Oh the simple joys in life!

I was able to finish up the painting after my trip to Tallahassee, and most of the things on my list. I played a few more (free) games of tennis, visited some (but not all) friends in Daytona, had sushi with Carla, Karin, and Bill, hung out with B, enjoyed that shimmering swimming pool and the sultry summer sun only central Florida can provide. R couldn't believe how dark I was when she saw me at the airport. I had cast off that pasty shade of cream that Amsterdam had inflicted upon me. But soon I will be back to my European paleness, semi-blending in with the ghosts and undead. I do miss "home" at times, but enjoying the opportunity of "living where we're living" and making the most of it. back to adventures of the European style! I'll get on those pictures of our place here in Amsterdam for those of you who have expressed an interest, and get them on the blog soon! Later!

No comments: