Saturday, May 1, 2010

My US Visit - Part 3

I fly into Newark, with Dolly and John picking me up on their way to Edison where we'll stay long enough to drop off most of my luggage. Once again, it was a tedious exercise to make sure I didn't go over the weight limit and subject myself to airport hassles while packing in Orlando. I had to make sure I left enough room and weight to carry some of Mom's great Indian food back to A'dam. I weighed one package of what she usually makes and I take back with me. She freezes them and they arrive mostly frozen in Amsterdam from being in the cargo hold. Anyway, we hit the road to Lake George in upstate NY for 3 days of skiing and relaxation. Where we were staying was quite nice, and provided a pleasant drive to the ski area the next day. Conditions were good until late in the day when it got a little icy. But the sun was out for most of the day and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Mom got a little bored, I think. Skiing is NOT one of the many things she has wanted to try in the last couple of years (like parasailing, NASCAR races, visiting Paris, etc.). I did pretty well for my skill level. My wipe outs came later in the day as I tried to increase my speed and the icy conditions became worse. Did get dropped what seemed like 10 feet but was probably more closer to 5 when my pants "stuck" to the lift seat and I couldn't get off in time - so square on my ass I landed. I scrambled to my feet as I can't stand when the lift is stopped for me! The second time off the same lift I had trouble again, but this time I only came off backwards but managed to stay upright and turned myself around. That was the worst of the day for me. My brother-in-law is a very good skier. His friends Ed and Loretta came up from NY on the same day with their 2 kids, and he (JK) skied with them in the afternoon after he and I skied a little together in the morning. Mom stayed in the lodge for the most part, working on a gift she was knitting for someone. We walked around the town, attended a fair they were holding (much of it on a frozen lake!), drove around the area a little, dined out together with Ed and Loretta, spent time at the hotel indoor pool, hot tub, and sauna, and listened to some live music by a mediocre band. After 3 days, we headed back to NJ where John (brother-in-law/JK) and I worked on Mom's water-damaged dry wall. We didn't get it finished before I had to leave, but NJ suffered a period of rain after I left, and more damage was done. Seems that leak in the roof was NOT fixed! Anyway, I figured how much of Mom's cooking I could take back. I packed everything and took the train to the airport and was bound for A'dam, where Radhika picked me up. On the day I arrived, I had a meeting with an ACCESS board member in The Hague and conducted a workshop 3 days later. No time for jet lag!

No comments: