Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Last 2 Weeks

Radhika went to London the weekend before her birthday to hang out with 2 friends from boarding school, Dimple and Shraddha. Shraddha came in Friday afternoon and bolted back out Saturday morning. What's that about? Anyway, I hear they had a good time hanging out Saturday and Sunday before she left to come back to Amsterdam. However, she conveniently left her camera home so there's no visual incriminating evidence, which is probably best!
Radhika's birthday fell on a Friday this year, so she had to spend a good deal of it at work. But, we went out to eat at a restaurant she likes that's close to the house that serves good, organic, vegetarian meals. They also display artwork by local photographers, so I spoke with the owner about hanging some of my work for 2 months. She wanted her gifts early in the evening, but I played mum, wanting to wait and extend the fun into the evening. After dinner we walked home and then I sprang the gifts on her. She didn't think the black dress was "her style", but the necklace and earrings I bought to go with the dress were perfect!! I shot 50%!!! That's a respectable field goal percentage in hoops and a downright record breaking batting average in baseball. That's not too bad. We'll shop for another dress together.
Well, we've had a stretch of good weather now that fall is upon us! There was a 10 mile race (called Dam To Dam) last weekend from Amsterdam to some other city nearby ending in "dam". I want to say Vandam, but I can't help but think of that acclaimed thespian, Jean Claude, and want to say that's not the name of the city (although I did like "Time Cop"). Brad and Natalia hosted a "Carbo-loading" dinner the night before the race, serving 3 types of pasta that were all delicious. Also, while I was talking to Natalia earlier in the week about what I was doing for R's birthday she suggested doing something the night of her pasta-fest, a cake to finish off the meal. I brought the candles to tennis in the week and gave them to her, and she picked up a great cake at the bakery near their flat. I went upstairs to use their "facility" only to come down with a cake and lit candles. Like magic, the attendees spontaneously burst into "Happy Birthday" as I came down the stairs. Radhika was totally surprised!!! Everyone went home with happy bellies and spirits. Anyway, Brad was running as well as two GE colleagues of Radhika's (Zsolt and Phil). All had great times and fared pretty well after the race. I went to the start of the race, but decided to walk around the city as it was the one day of the year where cars are not allowed on the streets and "things" were going on here and there. Meanwhile, Radhika and Natalia took the train to "the other dam" so they could be at the finish line when Brad, Zsolt, and Phil came blazing across it. I didn't see too many "things" happening in the city, but it sure was nice walking and riding the bike without worrying too much about automobiles. Taxi's and tram's were still operating, and taxi's are always worth keeping an eye on! Played a little tennis in the late afternoon with Vikram and John Atkinson, who is married to yet another GE employee. By the time I made it back to the apartment after tennis, Radhika soon followed 5 minutes after I arrived.
The reservations have all been made, the schedule is set, the clothes are in process of being packed, the camera gear is being checked, the plan to sneak out of the office early is in place (oops!), the car is being readied - - I believe it's a go for Friday!!! 2 days at Oktoberfest in Munich, followed by 4 days in Venice, 3 days in Florence and 2 days in Siena, 5 days in Cinque Terre, 1 day at Lake Como and finally 2 days around Lake Luzern in Switzerland before heading back October 14th. You will hear a full update from me when we return. Until then, think Sophia Loren, Ferrari, Rocky Balboa, and everything Italian.

No comments: