Monday, December 3, 2012

European Wrap up

I know, I know...bad blogger! And that's true, if a blogger is someone who writes daily or at least more often than I do. But I'm inclined to write only when I think I have something worthwhile to put out. And even that is sketchy when I look back at previous posts. I jotted down a few notes months ago, things to incorporate into a wrap-up of our 4-year period of living in Amsterdam and a shift to getting back into the groove of living back in the US. My delay in posting anything new stems mostly from that last part of the previous sentence. Working in the arts is a struggle even during times when the health of the economy is robust. It's simply a joy (read a heaping cup of sarcasm into that, please) trying to establish yourself during a snail's pace uphill climb from where this economy was in 2007! There were several who seemed simply frightened by the prospect of moving to and living in another country back in 2007. Seriously...there were! We were excited! Some anxiety? Sure. But overall, I don't think it's whacky to say we were probably along the lines of settlers of the old west, looking forward to the adventure and unknown experiences that were in store. Sure, there were no natives irritated that we were on their land, and we had no fear of being scalped (unless you count the time or two I found way too many black curls on the floor after sweet but chatty girl cut my hair at Tip Top on Roelof Hartstraat). There were no dangers to speak of - at least no more than we would find in America. More than a few expressed an inability to ever do "anything like that". There was no desire to ever pass over the American border. To each, their own...but I just can't reconcile that perspective. Just 100 years ago we had considerable limitations to see other parts of the world that we could only read about. Now, I whine at the thought of an 18-hour flight to India when a century ago it would've been weeks. Modern technology has gifted us with the ability to have breakfast at home and dinner in Paris! I envy those that come later, who someday get to gaze at the distant blue dot that is Earth from a colony within our solar system. I have been moved to considerable depths by my first view of the Grand and Bryce Canyons, the Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower, animals on the African plains, and so many others. I imagine I would be overwhelmed to see Earth from a distant vantage point or even low-Earth orbit. Perhaps...someday. Back to leaving the US for several years. Doing so, you have to expect differences and changes from the ways once experienced. I suppose that can be said from moving to another city, even. Change as we all know, is inevitable. I am sure I have covered some of the differences already in past posts. Some that were once acute to me are now forgotten or the impact lessened, like the 3-cheek air kiss greeting. I was hesitant at first with that, and then embraced it after a little while, and then the last year or so of living there I pulled back again. It's a lot more effort than "What's up?” a fist bump, hand shake, or even hug. For quite some time I made effort to get lip to cheek contact, because I didn't see the point of this "air kiss" convention. It seemed "phony" to me - Hollywood phony. But most of Europe does it. Two or Three air kisses as the cheeks touch - left, right, left, or, right, left, right, or leave one of those off for the French or others who stop the insanity at two. If I was a woman I don't think I would want some whiskered dude all up on my smooth, flawless complexion of a cheek. But that's the "American" in me. On beaches we observed topless women greet other women and men with full body hugs. We exchanged these "How could they?!" looks with one another! Incredulous! Was not unusual for an attractive young woman to come into the sauna or steam room without a stitch on while I was in there...and then START TALKING TO ME! The human body is definitely NOT a hang-up on the European continent. Attitudes about such things are much less uptight there. During a basketball game, I was kissed on the cheek by a defender jokingly trying to throw me off my game. After I took him to school (you know I had to represent!), it was laughed off by everyone. Do that over here and the teeth behind those lips you just used will be finding a new home on the ground. I recall Radhika warning me on our first trip to India that guys hold hands there, as a sign of friendship, so don't apply my American definition to that practice. In Japan, a woman told me to hold a guys hand there connotates a sexual relationship! Going back further I remember Mr. Williams, my high school band director telling the females not to use the hand sign for "OK" while on a trip to the Bahamas, as that indicates you are open for business. It seems I could sit here all day at this point and type my fingers to nubs as these differences come flooding back to the front of my brain. Poor service at restaurants, and the inability to be served water at many restaurants. The "honor system" being prevalent in many applications throughout Europe. One and two cent pieces phased out practically overnight and becoming worthless. Opening doors and picking up dropped items for women and the women being surprised by my behavior. Hell, one time it was an older women who fell as she exited a movie theater, and folks were looking down at her as if to figure out what to do next, only helping her to her feet after I got her halfway up. But I'm seeing poor social skills cropping up over here more and more, so I don't think we're doing that well on these matters either. And the honor system here I think would be a complete failure, as many would try to get free train, tram, and subway rides along with the other applications where people were expected to behave as they should over there and it seemed most did. Many have asked if I miss it - living in Amsterdam. I do. I don't. You can't beat a Florida winter and Florida sunshine - especially after experiencing the extreme lack of both in Amsterdam. The occasional language difficulty has been removed. The job market is not so restricted being a citizen of the country where I am now living. But living in Amsterdam could be and was at times pure joy. A beautiful city where in this country only perhaps San Francisco could rival. No strip malls, ugly billboards, traffic jams, or cookie-cutter housing. In there place beautiful 400 year old buildings, canals, bicyclists, and cobblestones. Restaurants of incredible variety with few "chains". Friends from every corner of the globe sharing their thoughts, histories, ideas, cultures, and being open to yours. Brussels and Brugge less than 3 hours away, as well as cities in Germany. Paris four hours away and even Venice under nine. Great cheese and a chilled bottle of bubbly on a slow boat on the canal in July - there's simply nothing like it. If I were to live outside the US again, I would prefer to experience another location. But if Amsterdam was offered and the conditions were right, I wouldn't hesitate to return. I'll try to kick myself into gear and work on our return to the US. There are a few ideas to write about floating around in my nogging. Stay tuned.

No comments: