Thursday, August 26, 2010

Africa - Part 2 (Johannesburg)

We left Amsterdam in the evening, taking the bus from Leidseplein to the airport. Of course the stop was closed at Leidseplein and temporarily moved to Overtoom, so we missed the first bus but caught the following one. It’s not uncommon or unexpected to have a “hitch” in the beginning of our trip. Jennifer was already there waiting for us. A little background – Jennifer is my second cousin who has been teaching in Amsterdam at one of the international schools for several years. One of my cousins in California told me about her being here and we met for the first time a little over a year ago. I know, small world! Anyway, we had a connection in Paris, and our flight was roughly 30% full. That allowed each of us to stretch out in the middle aisle across four seats for the long-haul portion of the journey, and grab some sleep overnight. It was one week after the World Cup final, and people were leaving Johannesburg en masse, but the numbers going were far fewer. We lucked out. This double-decker monster was practically all ours. Jennifer said she didn’t sleep much, but I was out most of the time and Radhika said she managed some shut-eye too, which is rare for her.
We landed mid-morning of the 22nd, and Nicky from Chamonix Guest Lodge was there to meet us. I always get a kick when I see my name on a sign being held at receiving once we leave customs. I even have a few tucked away somewhere. I know – such a child. Anyway, after exchanging some Euros for Rands, we made our way to the van and Nicky drove us to the lodge where we were staying. It was near the airport, as we had no plans to explore the city or area, having booked a flight out the next morning for Botswana. The place is very nice, beyond my expectations! I have learned to be optimistically cautious regarding what is viewed on my screen and what lies before me when standing there at the location. What was striking when we pulled up was the cinderblock wall that surrounded our lodge and all of the other properties in the area. On top of each wall was barbed wire, razor wire, electrified wire, or a random combination. This was curious, as we had never seen this type of “protection” before to such great lengths outside a prison. We were told it is because of “corruption”. That choice of word was puzzling. We would see this again later, and hear different reasoning. We did get settled, cleaned up a little, and then Nicky took us into Johannesburg. We went to the top of the tallest building on the continent for the view. Afterwards, Nicky went back to the lodge, leaving us to wander around and grab a bite, picking us up later that evening. The city wasn’t too inviting. A little rugged – raw. Some old buildings and churches amongst the newer construction. Fires in 50-gallon drums on dark streets keeping people warm on this chilly night. The people seemed mostly friendly. I can’t say the city and I connected, but I’m going by only a few hours. No burning desire to return. So, Radhika and Jen had some alcohol-enhanced convo at dinner, and I soberly listened. Can anyone explain to me the benefits of combining too much alcohol with anything, or where enhancement is the result? Okay, maybe parties. I’ll give you that one. We all know driving a car isn’t a bright idea. Sex and alcohol? - if you want to fumble and slobber your way through it. I’ve seen intelligent people try to hold conversations after imbibing a tad too much. It just doesn’t work. Anyway, I digress. The next morning we ate our breakfast, took our showers, settled the bill, and headed back to the airport for the flight to Botswana. I did take pictures during this period. Funny thing – I can’t find them anywhere! I have never “lost” image files before. I vaguely remember downloading a card to my Mac in the room at Chamonix, but so far I have turned up not a one. Damn! Just figured it out. I used Radhika’s Panasonic point and shoot while we were in Johannesburg. Whew. Thought maybe I had one too many beers somewhere along the way and deleted files. What I actually downloaded at the lodge were Radhika’s files from her camera. Never mind. So now I can put some images in an album for this post. Not much, but it’s what I came away with. Click on the “link to albums” found at upper right, and when you get to the site find and choose the Johannesburg album and run a slide show. I’ll have an album of images for each post from here on out. The address for the album is http://www.photoshop.com/user/johndp/?rlang=en_US&galleryid=01aefb7f75c64a3eb29782c0b5be34bb&wf=sharegrid&trackingid=BTAGC

No comments: